Gibbon Falls is located in the west central area of Yellowstone.
William Henry Jackson and John Merle Coulter of the second Hayden Survey discovered this waterfall of the Gibbon River in 1872. Its name seems to have come into usage from the river; by 1877, park superintendent P. W. Norris was using it. In addition, several early park maps used the name “First Cañon Falls.”
This segmented cascade flows near the Yellowstone Caldera rim which was formed 600,000 years ago. This falls is easily accessible along on of Yellowstone's major thoroughfares makes this an often crowded spot. Not only do people gather at the overlook, but Clark's Nutcrakers, Ravens, and banded ground squirrles are in abundance begging for food (which should not be given). There is a picnic area south of the fall, Gibbon Picnic Area and two picnic areas north of the falls, Iron Springs and Caldera Rim.
The cascade is a large one which is split in two by a band of rock in the middle. The flow of water on the right is the stronger of the two. As the Gibbon River courses down the right side, it strikes a ledge, shooting the water into the air with a rooster tail effect. The water to the left spreads out into a wide cascade which is more shallow.
Yellowstone National Park